Cosmetic surgery is becoming increasingly popular in the UK and there are no signs of this trend slowing down. However having cosmetic tattooing Perth surgery is a highly personal decision and many people are unaware of the key aspects that should be considered when doing their background research into having a cosmetic surgery procedure such as breast augmentation or liposuction. This article provides some general advice in line with the BAAPS recommendations (British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) for individuals considering having cosmetic surgery.
Cosmetic surgery guidelines
1. Make your own decision: when considering having cosmetic surgery always bear in mind that YOU are the expert on your appearance and wishes. Do not let other people convince you into having any cosmetic surgery procedure for which you had little concern for before your consultation. Do what you feel is right for you.
2. Choose the right cosmetic surgeon: it is vital to choose a qualified surgeon who is adequately trained. If you are considering having cosmetic surgery in the UK then make sure that the cosmetic surgeon you choose is registered with the GMC (General Medical Council). All plastic surgeons who are accredited in the UK are also listed on the Specialist Register in Plastic Surgery. You should check whether the cosmetic surgeon who will be performing your procedure is on the register. It is also important that you personally feel comfortable with the cosmetic surgeon that you have chosen for your cosmetic surgery.
3. Informed consent: all cosmetic surgery procedures have an associated risk and limitations. Obtain as much information as you can about the risk and benefits of the cosmetic surgery procedure you are considering and make your own decision as to whether it is right for you. Do not be pressurised into having cosmetic surgery.
4. Consult your GP: your GP has your welfare in mind. Many GP’s are happy to provide non judgemental and unbiased advice to their patients so that they can form an informed decision when considering having cosmetic surgery.
5. Carefully consider the location: you should consider having your cosmetic surgery procedure at a location which is convenient for you. This should involve choosing a location where you will be able to receive adequate post operative care which includes a management plan should any complications arise. Do not travel far distances (e.g. abroad) unless a suitable follow up care plan will be in place.
6. Choose the right time for your surgery: it is advisable that you have cosmetic surgery during a time period when you will be able to rest and recover. Unless in exceptional circumstances, it is best to avoid having cosmetic surgery if you are undergoing major life events such as changing houses, changing job, break up of a relationship or loss of a loved one.
7. Be cautious of consultation fees: try to avoid booking fees and non refundable deposits. It is better to do your research freely rather to be burdened by financial commitments and penalties.
8. Take your time: spend as much time as you require to make an informed decision. Do not rush into having cosmetic surgery.
9. Choose an organisation which you feel comfortable with: you should feel comfortable the cosmetic surgeon, the clinic and the staff at the organisation where you choose to have your cosmetic surgery.
10. You can always change your mind: never feel pressurised into having cosmetic surgery. It is your body and you have the right to change your mind at any point.